Sunday, April 20, 2014

Finding Peace at a Monastery in Aspen, Colorado

            Driving down a snow covered county road in Snowmass, Colorado, I approach the Monastery, unsure of what to expect. Pinks and whites blend with the blue sky as the sun rises in the distance. Mountains surround this valley, enclosing it from the world. For fifty years, this Catholic Trappist Monastery has offered daily masses to all that feel a nudge to come. I park my car, and follow a dozen people walking towards the chapel entrance. A silence descends, putting me in a contemplative place. Birds fly nearby, while a small squirrel scurries along a crosstie fence. I walk inside and sit on a bench lining the nave. The chairs in the center are reserved for the monks. Clear paned windows let in the mountain views. The stained glass window of Mary and the enfant Jesus grace the far end of the room, scattering colored light across the floor. There is coolness in the air that causes me to pull my jacket tighter. Bells ring, calling all to worship. Monks, wearing long tan belted robes, enter quietly. We are welcomed and the service begins with a chanting of a Psalm. Voices sing in unison and musical notes rise in praise. Peace settles and calms me. I breathe deeply, grateful.
            An hour earlier, I lay in a warm bed, wishing I had not promised I would attend Lauds, an early Morning Prayer and mass. Dressing before dawn was challenging. I am not a morning person, especially when morning begins in the dark. Despite this, I know I need this experience. I am one of the ones that has been nudged. 
            Listening to the homily, which speaks of Jesus’s unfathomable love for us, I am inspired to love more deeply. Love seems too simple a catalyst for change, but I believe in its power. The priest says that we do not need our head to come to prayer, only our heart. I realize that I am constantly bringing my mind, with all its busyness. When I open my heart, I become centered on what is truly important. For me, my relationship with God is at the core. Why have I let other things fill that space?  I am convicted to come home.
            One of the monks invites us to the Eucharist. We form a circle around the Altar, with monks forming half the circle and laypeople completing it. With the last word of the Lord’s Prayer spoken together, we approach the priest passing out the wafer and blessing each of us. I then drink from the consecrated chalice offered by another monk. At this moment, I am reminded of Jesus’s sacrifice and love. Returning to my seat, I sit in awe of His Presence.        
            Melpkin Abbey, another Trappist Monastery located in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, now beckons me. I have enjoyed walking through their botanical garden and wildflower lined Labyrinth, and finding the banks of the Cooper River. Today, I feel inspired to sign up for a spiritual retreat this spring. A year ago, I considered attending, but the timing was not right. I believe it is my next step. If Jesus needed to retreat often to spend time with His Father, how can I think I do not need to create space for His connection?
            If you have not made the trek to Melpkin Abbey, please find the time. You will not be disappointed. Visit my blog www.sacredgroundwriting.blogspot.com for more information on walking the Labyrinth as a way to pray. God is waiting. Let us meet Him in this Sacred Ground.
             


No comments: