Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Spiritual Moment at St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England


            Whenever we travel, moments of spirituality may occur when we are open to their possibility. Two weeks ago in London, Westminster Abbey was the setting of one of these experiences and my column, “Sacred Ground”, described it in detail. Ash Wednesday’s service in the historical Abbey was profound and moving, a highlight among my spiritually insightful moments. Looking back over my few days in London, I recall examples of God’s majesty. Embracing His presence has added to a deeper understanding of Him and the world around me.
            Another of these revelations occurred while touring St. Paul’s cathedral where Lady Diana Spencer married Prince Charles thirty-three years ago. Walking to the cathedral from the tube station, I noticed the magnificent white dome dominating the skyline. As I neared, the dome’s two stories became clearer, displaying Christopher Wren’s architectural vision, which became a reality in the years 1675-1711. The wider story with its multiple white columns gives a base for a smaller second story with windows around the circumference. A spire, topped with a cross, rises from the rounded roof.
            During WWII’s blitz, 1940,Winston Churchill declared, “At all costs, St. Paul’s must be saved.” During this city’s wartime struggle, the dome of St. Paul’s cathedral became a symbol of human endurance against evil and the ability to overcome adversity. In times of profound joy and grief, multitudes have gathered. Thousands of Londoners flocked here to celebrate VE Day and later, the ending of WWII and more recently, our own tragedy of 9/11.
            I passed people, young and old, milling around the granite steps, posing for pictures and enjoying the warm spring sun that had pushed back yesterday’s rain clouds. I entered the West Front and was amazed by the length and width of the nave. The white walls, etched in gold provided a beautiful frame for the eight brightly painted moments of St. Paul’s life shown on the interior dome. 
            Wandering the nave and side chapels, I was inspired as I listened to an audiotape of their boys’ choir singing. I climbed the 259 steps leading to the Whispering Gallery. I walked the circular path surrounding the great masterpieces of St. Paul’s life and heard whispering from the opposite side, which is a unique consequence of the architecture.  I climbed another 119 steps to the Stone Gallery, where the outside space of the first story of the dome can be accessed. Another 150 steps took me to the Golden Gallery and an amazing view of the city. The rays of sun shone on my face and the wind whipped through my hair as I walked the circumference of the base of the dome’s second story. I saw the London eye, a Ferris wheel located on the Thames River. Across the river, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and Parliament stood grandly. In the other direction, I saw the Tower Bridge, located next to the Tower of London. Haziness blurred the horizon as my eyes searched in the distance for Windsor Castle.  Standing there, I became conscious of the passage of time and God’s presence.



            I thanked Him for His never-ending desire to be in my life and the ability to visit this place that has captured the hearts and souls of the British people.

No comments: