Monday, April 2, 2012

N’Motion Fitness studio
































A majority of my most meaningful experiences in the presence of God have been in solitude. An exception is fitness spinning at N’Motion studio in Mt. Pleasant. This nonprofit studio brings to reality Luke 10:27- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself”. This program bases itself on the Trinity of God. Mind, Body and Spirit are incorporated. Spinning represents the Father, where cardio exercise works the heart and the mind is engaged. Weights/strength training is based on Jesus, who came in a physical body and gives us strength when we ask Him. The Holy Spirit is found in stretching. He stretches us outside our box. This workout gives our body what we need to accomplish great things.

This is a perfect combination as we individually meet God while gaining the benefits of physical exercise. Bible verses and devotional sayings are read during seventy-five minutes to give us food for thought. Their mission is to serve women who serve others. This is the loving your neighbor component.

I prepare my spin bike for a ride to the mountaintop. Women around me talk quietly as they get on their bikes. A few of the women are new to spinning. In this place, there is no judgment, only patient explanation and love. The lights dim while Christian music plays in the background. Our instructor starts our group ride. She begins with a slow warm up while giving us some ideas to consider as we lose ourselves in God’s company. It is a solo ride, surrounded by the encouragement of others. The instructor encourages us to make this ride our own. We are instructed to listen to our bodies and determine how much resistance we add to the pedals. It is a private decision with no one observing our actions.

I close my eyes as the music swirls around me. I add more tension to the wheels as I feel my heart rate increase. Deeper into the seat of the bike I go as I work my muscles. I increase my cadence and I get lost in the music and God’s presence. He is here; ready to talk with me. I tell Him how this mountain is a tough climb and he says practice makes perfect. The climb will be long and hard, but the mountaintop view is spectacular. This is an analogy I use for life. There are times when I think I can’t make it because the climb lasts too long and my energy level is depleted to the point of collapse. This is when God steps in if I ask Him. He will give me the strength to continue as I climb higher. And He will be with me at the pinnacle where I celebrate a victory of sorts. The clarity I get at the summit makes all the past struggles worth the effort. I look back over the ride and see God in every turn. He confirms His promise never to desert me. It may feel like He is distant at times, but He is always with me. I can rely on Him and this gives me hope for a brighter future.

I have found that when I engage all my senses, I am brought into the present. It is impossible to be worried about the future or living in the past, when I am concentrating on the information my senses are gathering. I am where I need to be at this moment and life is good.

The jury is still out on whether I love to spin. What I know is that I love to connect to God in this amazing space. Only love fills this room. I pedal and find myself alone with God. He is so happy to connect with me in this sacred and safe place. The thirty- five minutes fly by as I spin in His presence. Before I know it, it is time to slow down, dismount and lift weights for fifteen minutes. Transitioning into stretching, my body is given a slow down while my mind is quieted.

N’Motion believes that nutrition is key to a healthy body. Their “fuel” classes are offered to promote healthy eating. Being well rounded is important.

I invite all women to visit this amazing place. Mention this article and the first visit is free. Find N’Motion on the web at www.nmotionstudio.org. This experience is a spiritual journey with physical benefits. Come join me for the ride of your life.

No comments: