Monday, April 2, 2012

Chartres, France





Sacred Ground

Travel is seeing new places, experiencing different cultures and connecting with history. When I open myself to the unknown, amazing things happen. When I connect with places steeped in spiritual significance, I come away with a deeper understanding of myself, my faith, and the world around me. People have been experiencing pilgrimages for centuries. In ancient times, Greeks and Romans visited the temples of their gods. During the Middle Ages, knights traveled to the Holy Land and many faithful Christian believers visited the cathedrals of Europe. Throughout history, Jews and Muslims have made journeys to divine locations. Many religions have places of spiritual importance where believers renew their faith.

For over a thousand years, pilgrims have visited Chartres Cathedral, located in Chartres, France, an hour southwest of Paris. I journeyed there last year on a pilgrimage to be with God. You may ask, why travel so far when God is everywhere? That is a good question. One I also posed. The answer is this: God is everywhere and you can experience Him in the most ordinary as well as the extraordinary places. But God has favorites that He wants to share with us. There are so many unique localities that each one of us will be invited to His Holy sites in various ways.

When I approach a place of holiness, I walk the perimeter first and notice any places that speak to me and listen to the voice of longing. Then I walk inside and circle that as well. I take note of my feelings and where God may want me to pause and listen. I don't stop yet as I continue to circumambulate.

When I arrive back to my starting point, I ask God where He wants me to pause and be still. It is in the quiet that I can feel His presence. I sit in the nave of the cathedral so I can get a full view. The concrete vaulting crisscrosses the entire ceiling of the nave. The space gives an optical illusion of being able to reach out and touch the other side. My brain tells me this isn’t possible, but the effect creates a personal space that seems almost cozy in a space so immense.

An evening concert is beginning. It is dark in the sanctuary with candlelight flickering off the walls and twilight coming through the stain glass windows. There is a hush as the music begins. One woman sings while another plays the flute. A cellist rounds out the ensemble. The haunting music rings out in the silence and slowly floats upward. The feeling of holiness surrounds me. All my senses are engaged. I am fully present.

Afterwards, I walk to the back of the cathedral… the semicircular apse where I am alone. I sit in a place that God has marked on my heart. The quiet and solitude open me to a dialogue with my Father. I tell Him how wonderful everything is so far. I am surprised, delighted and honored. He is pleased that I am excited. He delights in giving us good things. And I am grateful.

I walk back to the nave. There is a giant labyrinth set in the stone floor, which has been there for close to a millennium. Using this tool, people have meditated on these stones for centuries. In the center, a rosette flower is divided into six petals. Beginning in the left bottom petal, I reflect on the Lord’s Prayer, starting with the awesomeness of God. I stop in each petal as I work my way through the Prayer: Faith, Surrender, Service, Abundance, Forgiveness and Strength. On Fridays, the entire labyrinth is exposed when the chairs are removed. I walk along the path with many other pilgrims. Using this ancient method, I embrace the chance to be with God and connect with the past, present and future.

This spiritual journey to France changes me. My life blossoms, like flower petals following the sun. My experience opens my eyes to new perspectives, new opportunities and new relationships that help me appreciate the beautiful and meaningful world that God gives us. Close by, at Mepkin Abbey in Goose Creek, I discover a labyrinth to walk and mediate. Join me each month as I explore God’s presence in our world and His influence in the lives of His people. In our search, we will come away with a greater appreciation for our spiritual life.

2 comments:

Willard B. Moore said...

Julie: It's great to see you branching out and reaching others outside of Charleston
billmoore

Julie Chapman said...

Thanks Bill for all your support! I so appreciate all the edit suggestions!